15 Places to go in Lagos During Christmas
December 22, 2023
Feeling the Christmas jitters and wondering where to hang out in Lagos during the holidays? You’re not alone! We all want those cool spots to make our Christmas and New Year holiday snap-worthy and fun. Don’t sweat it, because we’ve got you covered with a list of 15 places you can have a blast in Lagos during Christmas.
Get ready for a mix of sun, fun, and festive vibes as we explore spots that will make your holiday memorable.
1. Have a quiet enjoyable time at Tarkwa Bay
Tarkwa Bay is one place you can get the festive fun in Lagos. It is a secluded beach accessible only by boat and it’s a perfect spot for Christmas celebrations. Enjoy swimming, jet-skiing, and water skiing in a peaceful setting. Indulge in souvenir shopping, local snacks, and even horse rides. As the day ends, catch breathtaking sunset views at West Mole.
Described as an ‘oasis’ from Lagos’ hustle, Tarkwa Bay hosts beach parties, boat cruises, surfing, and more. It’s your ideal spot to relax, enjoy the ocean breeze, and savor the season.
Fun activities you can do at Tarkwa Bay beach
There are loads of cool things to do at Tarkwa Bay Beach, especially if you’re into water sports. Swim, surf, play beach soccer or volleyball – the options are endless. And hey, why not bring along your favorite board games like Scrabble, Monopoly, or cards to have a good time with friends?
Here’s a quick list of must-try activities to kick the fun up a notch at the island.
- Quad biking: Rent a quad bike for a leisure ride along the beach coast.
- Jet ski: Experience the thrill of jet skiing on the ocean with a guide for first-time riders.
- Surfing: Enjoy the friendly waters of Tarkwa Bay, perfect for both beginners and experienced surfers.
- Volleyball: Hit the volleyball court for a fun game with friends or other beachgoers.
- Beach soccer: Not a volleyball fan? Try beach soccer for a different kind of game.
- Fresh fish: Indulge in the highlight of the day – the delicious grilled fresh fish. They claim it is one of the best in town. Taste it for yourself and be the judge.
2. Visit La Campagne Beach Resort
Experience a delightful and laid-back Christmas at La Campagne Tropicana Resort in Ijebu-Lekki, Lagos. Nestled by the Atlantic Ocean coast near Ikegun lake, this 4-Star gem offers natural beauty and fantastic amenities.
Choose from 29 cozy chalets like Kodi, Lava, Osho, and others. Each has air-conditioning, king-sized beds, en-suite bathrooms, and all the modern comforts you need. The resort boasts a restaurant, a chill bar/lounge, 24/7 electricity, a cool swimming pool, a fitness center, and fun activities like beach volleyball, quad bikes, and water sports.
Make your Christmas special with La Campagne Tropicana Resort’s BBQ center, relaxing massages, spa treatments, and luxury tents. Escape the city chaos and create lasting holiday memories. 🌟🎄
Fun things you can do at La Campagne beach
La Campagne Tropicana has tons of cool water and land activities for you. Whether it’s a day out or a full-on vacation, they’ve got you covered with awesome activities.
Here’s a quick guide on the fun things you can do at La Campagne and how they roll.
- Boat cruise: Children can enjoy Kayaks and Canoes, while parents unwind with boat cruises. Options include canoes, floaters, paddle boats, tubes, jet skis, swimming bikes, sea scooters, and luxury boats.
- Jet ski: Experience the thrill of a jet pack for a controlled view of the ocean.
- Kayaking: Solo water activity for strong swimmers, navigating the sea with a paddle.
- Beach soccer: Exciting group game played on the beach.
- Water volleyball: Play regular volleyball but in the pool at La Campagne.
- Snooker: Relax with a game at the resort’s bar.
- Horse riding: Ride at sunset or race across the beach sands using the horse riding facilities.
- Bicycle ride: Children can ride bicycles and tricycles on the designated walkway.
- Football: Designated space for playing football on the beach.
- Basketball: Enjoy basketball games at the provided courts with your team.
3. Attend a musical concert at MUSON Centre
The MUSON Centre on Marina road, Onikan is a fantastic spot for holiday fun. It’s not just about music – they host amazing stage plays, international conferences, and events. The MUSON Orchestra even puts on special performances during Easter and Christmas. It’s a hub of festive joy and a great place to spend your Christmas season in Lagos.
4. Pay a visit to Badagry
Curious about history? Badagry, located between Lagos and the Benin border at Seme, holds the story of the slave trade. It’s not just a location; it’s a glimpse into the past. Check it out this holiday season – it’s one of the best places to visit in Lagos with a rich history to explore.
Discovering Badagry’s history is an eye-opener. This makes it a great spot for you to explore during the holiday season. Here are the top 5 places you must visit at Badagry:
I. Alhaji William Abass Seriki Barracoon
- Uncover the chilling history of slave trade.
- Experience a tour of the compound with historical insights.
- Visit the slave cells and courtroom, now part of the Abass family living quarters.
II. Point of no return and Slave Spirit Attenuation well
- Take a boat ride to Gberefu Island.
- Explore the Point of no return and Slave Spirit Attenuation well.
- Learn about the dark past and quiet beauty of the island.
III. National Museum in Badagry
- Get a glimpse of the skyline and beautiful scenery.
- Tour the museum to understand the history of slavery.
- Enjoy the serene atmosphere and investment potential.
- First Storey Building in Nigeria:
IV. Visit the historical First Storey Building
- Explore the spacious compound and picnic under the Almond tree.
- Learn about the reverends who lived there, including Reverend Ajayi Crowther.
V. Vlekete Slave Market
- Witness the renovated Vlekete Slave Market.
- Discover the market’s historical significance during the Atlantic slave trade.
- Explore different sections containing artifacts and history.
5. Visit the national museum
Discover the National Museum at Onikan,. It’s a treasure trove of relics from old Lagos, including Igbo, Ukwu, Nok, Benin, and Ife. Beyond the gate, two significant buildings await – one where Murtala Muhammed was assassinated and the main museum.
Here’s why you should check it out:
- Experience Nigerian History:
- Marvel at the state car of former Military Head of State, Murtala Mohammed.
- Explore old sculptures and royal crowns.
- Recreation and Excursions:
- Visit for leisure and educational excursions.
- Understand Nigerian history in an engaging way.
Unlock the past during the Christmas season and soak in the richness of Nigerian heritage at this historical gem.
6. Upbeat Center
Don’t miss out on the excitement at Upbeat Centre during this festive season. Upbeat at Lekki Lagos is not just any park; it’s home to the biggest trampoline center in West Africa. This makes it a must-visit for those who love to have fun and keep fit. Imagine bouncing to new heights on a state-of-the-art trampoline park.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Upbeat Centre comes fully equipped with amenities that cater to all tastes. Shoot hoops on the outdoor basketball court and score goals on the Five-a-Side football pitch. Or you can simply enjoy the vast play area that promises non-stop entertainment. It’s the ideal spot to make new memories and spend quality time with loved ones.
And for those who crave a bit of a challenge, Upbeat has plenty to offer. Climb up their walls, dodge balls mid-air, plunge into the safety of foam pits, or navigate through an invigorating obstacle course.
7. View exceptional works of art at Nike Art Gallery
If you’re wondering where to celebrate Christmas in Lagos, the Nike Centre for Art and Culture is a great destination. This premier art gallery, owned by the renowned Nike Davies-Okundaye homes contemporary African art. With a diverse collection that spans paintings, sculptures, photography, and digital art, it’s a cultural hotspot that offers more than visual delights.
As one of the best places to visit in Lagos this holiday season, the gallery isn’t just about viewing art; it’s an experience. From art exhibitions to creative workshops and film screenings, there’s always something engaging happening here. Plus, it’s an opportunity to support local artists by purchasing one-of-a-kind pieces.
The gallery itself is an architectural gem, painted in a serene white and stretching five stories high. It’s reputed to be the largest of its kind in West Africa. It hosts approximately 8,000 works from Nigerian artists.
Every corner of the gallery is adorned with vibrant artworks. You’ll see colorful textiles, traditional weavings, intricate beadwork and metalwork. It’s a place where the rich tapestry of Nigerian culture is on full display.
So, for fun things to do in Lagos this Christmas season, especially for art lovers, Nike Centre for Art and Culture is the place.
8. Watch a play at the National Arts Theatre
Looking for the best places to visit in Lagos this holiday season? The iconic National Arts Theatre should definitely be on your list. It’s a beacon of culture in Iganmu, Lagos. the theatre’s architecture heralds its status as a historical gem and a hub for the performing arts.
Completed in 1976 for the Festival of Arts and Culture the following year, the National Arts Theatre isn’t just a feast for the eyes. It’s a vibrant space where the arts come alive, housing the National Gallery of Modern Nigerian Art within its walls.
With a variety of spaces, the theatre is equipped for every kind of artistic expression. It has a grand hall that seats 5,000, a conference hall perfect for high-profile events, and exhibition halls for large-scale displays. It even boasts two cinema halls, each with a 700-person capacity, and a serene roof garden.
Whether you’re attending a banquet, watching a film, or enjoying a performance, the theatre’s facilities are top-notch.
As one of the fun spots in Lagos to spend the Yuletide, the National Arts Theatre stands as a testament to Nigeria’s commitment to cultural preservation and promotion. So, if you’re pondering fun things to do in Lagos this Christmas season, a visit to this monumental venue will enrich your festive experience.
9. Visit a Cinema
When considering fun things to do in Lagos this Christmas season, catching a movie with friends and family is a classic choice. Lagos boasts a variety of cinemas where you can immerse yourself in the latest blockbusters. For a comprehensive guide to the best movie theaters around town, check out 4 best cinemas to visit on the mainland.
If you’re looking for an exceptional cinematic experience, don’t miss the Filmhouse IMAX in Lekki. It’s not just about watching a movie; it’s about being part of the action. With its cutting-edge technology and comfortable seating, it’s a festive treat for the senses.
Whether it’s a family outing or a hangout with friends, a cinema is one of the best places to visit in Lagos this holiday season.
10. Play games at Rufus & Bee
If you desire a place where you can mix things up a bit, Rufus and Bee is your go-to spot. This place buzzes with energy and has lots of activities that’ll keep both children and adults hooked. Imagine knocking down pins in the bowling alley, challenging your pals to a dance-off, or just chilling at the sports bar.
Rufus and Bee isn’t your everyday arcade. It’s a fun place where you can get your game on with everything from basketball to bike racing. You could also get a little geeky with games straight out of Star Wars and The Walking Dead. And who doesn’t love a reward? Play your heart out and collect tickets to snag some cool prizes, or keep the fun rolling by topping up your Buzz card.
So, if you’re scratching your head, searching the best places to visit in Lagos this holiday, check out our full article on Rufus and Bee. It’ll certainly add some excitement to your Christmas season.
11. Explore the Lekki Conservation Centre
How about you make the Lekki Conservation Centre be your festive playground? Tucked away at Km 19 on the Lekki – Epe Expressway, this wildlife oasis is teeming with nature’s finest. They have the cheeky monkeys, snakes, and yes, even crocodiles. It’s the perfect spot to gather your friends or family for a day of exploration and fun.
As you’re mapping out the best places to visit in Lagos this holiday season, add a dash of adventure to your list with a trip to Lekki conservation centre. For all the details on the exciting things you can do at the Lekki Conservation Centre, make sure to check out 5 fun things to do at Lekki conservation centre. There are so many activities there that promise to make your Christmas season in Lagos truly unforgettable.
12. LUFASI Park
Ready to jazz up your Christmas in Lagos? Here’s a spot that’s a slice of paradise for those who love the great outdoors. LUFASI Park, beside Fara Park in Ibeju Lekki, is your go-to place for a yuletide filled with picnicking, kayaking, fishing, and kite-flying bliss.
This serene sanctuary isn’t just about kicking back; it’s a hub of activity where you can:
- Connect with nature
- Engage with wildlife and learn about the park’s role in protecting local species.
- Embrace the calm and rejuvenate in the park’s tranquil surroundings.
- The park’s flagship project includes a children’s play area, animal sanctuary, picnic spots, sports pitches, and lakes.
Here’s a quick rundown of fun things to do in Lagos this Christmas season at LUFASI Park:
- Visit the Rehabilitation Center and meet animals like monkeys, pangolins, and tortoises.
- Immerse yourself in nature with a peaceful camping trip.
- Cast a line in the storied lakes of Moses and Nora, teeming with fish like tilapia.
- Unwind amidst lush greenery for the ultimate picnic experience.
- Paddle across Lake Moses, but remember to book in advance
- Spot a variety of feathered friends, especially in the Ekiti Forest area of the reserve.
For those looking for places to spend your Christmas season, LUFASI Park offers a wealth of exciting things to do in Lagos. Whether you’re an animal lover, an adventure seeker, or just need a peaceful escape, you’ll love this park.
A splash-tastic way to celebrate Christmas in Lagos is a visit to Laquatic Lagos. Laquatic is the first inflatable waterpark in Africa and the only one in Lagos. Perched on the edge of the Atlantic, this water wonderland is all about high-energy fun and soaking up the sun.
Here’s a quick splash of the fun things to do in Lagos this Christmas season at Laquatic:
- Conquer the obstacle course: Challenge yourself or race with friends on the floating obstacle course.
- Monkey bars: swing and hang from the monkey bars, just like you’re in the jungle.
- Score a goal: Engage in a friendly match of water polo.
- Climb high: Test your strength on the climbing walls.
- Swing into the Sea: Feel the thrill on swings that launch you into the ocean.
And that’s not all! Laquatic is also perfect for:
- Picnicking: Grab a spot on the beach and enjoy a festive feast with a view.
- Playing games: Team up for water sports that’ll make a splash with everyone.
- Capturing memories: Don’t forget to snap some Instagram-worthy photos.
Laquatic offers an exhilarating escape where the waves meet playtime. It’s one of the places to do exciting things in Lagos this exciting Christmas season.
14. Take a tour with Kampari Tours
For a festive season filled with aquatic adventures, head over to Kampari Tours. This is the place to be if you’re looking for a variety of water activities in Lagos. Take your pick from a relaxing boat cruise, an energizing kayak session or a leisurely pedal boating. You can also try the exhilarating jet skiing, or an action-packed game of paintball.
Plus, you can even hop on a boat to the exclusive Ilashe luxury beach. It’s a prime destination for anyone asking where to go in Lagos for the festive season.
15. Omu Resort
Omu resort in Lagos will grant you a delightful Christmas outing. With an array of attractions, you’re guaranteed a day packed with excitement and adventure.
Things to do at Omu Resort:
- Visit the Omu Resort zoo
- Enjoy the amusement park
- Race in go-karts
- Tackle the quad biking trails
- Go horse riding
- Kayak on the water
- Experience the wave pool
More activities at Omu Resort:
- Play in the mini water park
- Try your hand at archery
- Take a spin on park rides
- Explore the mini aquarium
- Have fun skating
- Dive into a game of paintball
Plan your Lagos Christmas tour today
And there you have it—a festive roundup of 15 incredible places to visit in Lagos this Christmas. Whether you’re soaking up the sun on a sandy beach, shopping for gifts, or dancing the night away, Lagos has something special for you. Remember, the holidays are about making memories, so grab your friends and family and explore these amazing spots. Wishing you a merry and adventure-filled Christmas in Lagos.